Kon’ya Indigo dye kit (Seiwa)
Ships from Japan
The kit contains:
- Konya Ai indigo crystals & reducing agent (in pouch)
- Indigo colour fixative
- Rubber gloves
- English instructions
- Makes 5 litres of dye-ing solution for approximately 200 grams of dry fabric (about 5 t shirts or scarfs).
Fabric is NOT included with the kit.
You will need:
- 2 metal or plastic buckets or plastic baths for dyeing, then rinsing
- Boiling water
- Chopsticks or tongs
- Fabric or clothing for dyeing
- Rubber bands, clips and poles for creating resist dyeing patterns.
The centuries-old tradition of Japanese indigo resist dyeing, called Shibori, has been simplified into a DIY kit.
With half a century of experience manufacturing fabric dyes Seiwa developed Konya I with a fourth generation Indigo dyeing master, Nakajima Yasuo of Busyu Nakajima Konya.
Traditionally, a vat of dye is made from indigo plant leaves, with wheat husk powder, limestone powder, lye ash, and sake added. The liquid is left to ferment for days to create the rich green-blue coloured liquid.
The Konya I is an easy to use kit which uses real indigo plant dye, allowing you to make your own dye bath at home in just a few minutes. You can experience the magic of the indigo dyeing process, watching the dark green tinged liquid oxidise and turn fabrics the rich dark blue when exposed to air.
Each pack makes 5 litres of dyeing solution, enough to dye about 200 grams of dry cloth.
For Shibori inspiration, have a look at our Pinterest board.